From: Mike Sofen
Sent: Jan 18, 2005 11:33 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Ford trucks - engine details - 2003

Specifically, in 2003, Ford did introduce the 6.0L Powerstroke.  To get more horsepower, torque and gas mileage out of an engine 20% smaller than its predecessor, they resorted to elaborate arrays of sensors all controlled by a sophisticated computer run by software.  Unfortunately, they rushed the software for the engine out the door to meet delivery schedules and that resulted in the first few thousand (or few ten thousand) of the vehicles having  tremendous and often fatal engine problems.  They often had to replace the entire engine due to damage caused by overheating or other issues.  If any of those engines made it back into circulation?

The 6.0L is a truly remarkable engine, meeting strict emissions standards, great fuel efficiency and power.  It unfortunately had a troubled childhood that caused much anguish for early adopters.

Mike Sofen

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-