Re: [RC] TWH/Lope/Canter - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary D.C. bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regarding runaways, I thought I'd share an anecdote.Until recently, our now
early teenage daughters have been doing endurance riding with my wife and I for
the past few years. My wife had previous riding experience, having owned her
own horse as a teenager, but I had to teach both daughters to ride, and four
months later they began their endurance careers. In an attempt to help them
learn to ride safely, I drilled them ahead of time about what to do in certain
"horse emergencies"--bucking, rearing, running away, stepping in barbed wire,
lost reins, tripping/falling, etc. I taught them that if their horse began to
run away with them, they should "Stand in the stirrups, press with their feet,
lean back on the reins and keep saying whoa 'til they slow down."
   One day, it happened. We were doing a workout together, and my youngest
daughter (age 8 then) let her Walkaloosa pick up a little speed going down a
short incline, and he just kept going, and picking up more speed, obviously
headed for home, which was a mile away with a busy highway to cross on the way.
Thankfully, he was gaited, so not too hard to stay on, but my daughter was
terrified, nonetheless. I shouted for my wife and other daughter to stay put,
as I thought several horses chasing would just inflame the situation. I urged
my horse to gradually pick up speed and we caught her in a couple hundred
yards. As I pulled up along side her I calmly talked her down, and I'm happy to
say she was doing exactly what I had taught her--Standing in the stirrups, feet
planted, pulling back, and yelling for Ol' Tiny to Whoa. All the while, tears
were streaming back horizontally on her face. A striking combination of fear
and determination. Twenty minutes later, as she had evolved from utter terror
to bragging about the incident, she said "Dad, I heard your voice in my head
over and over saying "Plant your feet,lean back, pull back on the reins, etc.
 One daughter went on to a southwest junior championship, and neither girl
ever sustained an injury while riding, even though they were pretty much
exposed to all of the dangerous situations listed above. An ounce of
prevention...    Bruce Weary D.C. #4160