[RC] WEC - moving along - StephTeeter

I finally have a net connection - though it's only for a short time each
day, but will try to post more news and photos from now on.

Working backwards from today (Jan 16)

USA news: I saw Bev Gray in the Jazira hotel this morning, she and a few
others arrived last night. Meg Sleeper, Kathy Harris, Michelle Roush, Dennis
Summers, Carol Giles and Ron Sproat, plus Bob Beecher, Jeannie Waldron - I
saw Art Priesz a couple days ago, he's already here. Jim Baldwin is here
too, though techinically in employ of the Dubai Veterinary Hospital - but
will be working with the US horses too. They're all excited, happy to
finally be here, in good spirits. The US horses arrive tomorrow, as well as
another round of riders and staff. 6 of the horses will be coming to the
quarantine barns at the Endurance City (Summers, Giles, Harris, Rousch,
Sleeper, Gray) - the other 3 will remain at the polo facilities in Gantoot
(location of the 98 WEC). All the US riders and staff will be staying in
Gantoot, at the chalets by the beach.

2 days ago I moved to Gantoot also, though I'm at the main hotel building,
not the chalets. Still no net connection at the hotel, but it's closer to
the Endurance City, and a little more 'up class' than the Bur Dubai Rush Inn
(though I have to admit it was a fun experience there - it's comparable to
an 'inner city' area, but clean and safe - not as scary as our own big
cities. I sort of miss the noise of the city, the zillions of people and
little shops crammed together, and the smell of spice in the air. )

Brazil: the Brazilian horses arrived yesterday, along with some of the
group - I saw Henrique Garcia (my Brazilian friend/host from last year) at
lunch - he's one of the vets for Brazil. Great to see him.

Argentina: they're settling in, working out space in the barn, routines,
etc. The OC gave every Federation a 4X4 yesterday, so now the group is set
with phones, rigs, etc - and can start practicing attending horses on the
trail. The official course loops aren't open yet, but the OC has set up
temporary, quarantine respective, training loops. More deep sand than will
be on the actual course, so they're taking it easy.

Japan: I'm meeting Seiichi Hasumi, (his horse is Fayette De Cameo ) and his
wife and friend/crew tomorrow for dinner. I keep bumping into them, will be
nice to get to know them better. Ann and Hal Hall will be coming to help
crew for them.

Belgium: I spoke with Leonard Liesens, he should be arriving today. His son,
Luke, is here with the horses. He says Orfeo is doing great, and all the
Belgian team looks good.

I'm sure there's more Federation news - but that's all I have now. I'll try
to meet some riders on the training trails in the next couple days and get
some photos of different horse/riders.

---------

Sheikha Madiya: Last night I got a call from Grace Ramsey. She is here this
winter training for Sheikha Madiya Hasher bint Al Maktoum . They were having
a celebration for Madiya and invited us over. Sheikha Madiya is the FIRST
and ONLY woman UAE Endurance rider. It's an amazing thing really. She
trained with Grace R. and Jan Worthington last summer in the US, and came to
our ride - Abu Dhabi Arabian Nights - in August, finished the 100, and
became an instant celebrity back home. She is the youngest daughter of a
family of 6 - the only one in her immediate interested in horses and
Endurance. She is the neice of HH Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum (Dubai
crown prince, UAE Minister of Defence) - the Sheikh primarily responsible
for getting Endurance started in the UAE. She has a quick bright smile, very
likeable, no pretenses, just a nice young woman with beautiful dark eyes...
Both she and her horses are in training - she works out every day, trying to
lose weight and gain fitness. She's definitely a renegade - it's not exactly
'acceptable' for women here (especially royalty) to be competing with men on
the Endurance course.   The celebration was in honor of her finish at the
Nations Day Cup - once again, the first UAE woman to compete in a UAE ride.
Roast lamb in a bed of rice and spiced lentils - nothing extravagant, but
very good. Dwight Hooten and his wife (Lisa?) were also there - they live in
the neighboring village, Dwight works for the Dubai Veterinary Hospital, and
helps several of the stables with training/veterinary issues.

What else.... normal issues with everybody. Horses, personalities - mostly
things are settling into a routine, which is always good for group dynamics.
The OC only granted one room per Federation at the Bab al Shams, so that led
to some interesting dynamics - determining WHO gets the 5* hotel room, and
who gets the chalet rooms (sort of like dormitories). A first test for every
group!

The Endurance City is pretty much complete, they're still paving parking
lots, putting in a new petrol station at the entrance, miscellaneous
things - but generally good progress.

I guess that's it for now - more tommorow I hope,

Steph