Re: [RC] Well said, Heidi - Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Well said, Heidi

The Tevis can't have a 50 mile event because of the trail. If they could - who knows it makes money.

It may be that they can't because of the trail, but also having a 50 would take away a lot of the prestige and mystique of the event. That would be an awful thing for the Tevis. It is what it is, and I think it should stay that way. And besides, up to 250 riders at $275 per entry, tell me that they aren't making money.....

I think what we are seeing in most of the past couple days is many of the old timers showing resistance to change. Change will come - trying to stop it is like trying to hold back the tides. Change is normally good and the best of all worlds is when change can be built on what has gone before. Personally I think the AERC has done a wonderful job in doing that. There has been tremendous change in the last 15 years. Most of it for the good - as witnessed by the growth in the sport, and the current thrust to insure the welfare of our equine partners that join us on the trail.

One of the great things that AERC has accomplished it welfare of the horses. I remember days in the past where any horse that crossed the finish line first was the winner, even if he dropped dead 5 minutes later. Or given a completion if he crossed the finish line, no matter how sick. Thank goodness that is no longer policy.

I do agree with Cindy Collins however, in that I, and I'm sure many others, cannot remember who is the National Champion a week after the awards. Also, there are too many weight divisions and no one can remember who the winners of each are. I don't think the ROC was any greater than many other rides, but the publicity and anticipation were superbly handled. A clever promotional campaign can sell almost anything, whether it is truly better than anything else or not.

Barbara