Re: [RC] Well said, Heidi - Chris Paus

Truman, I've been involved in a lot of organizations and the ones that don't evolve don't survive. I think AERC has done a good job of maintaining the spirit of the sport and meeting the needs of its members. If it doesn't meet those needs, there will be no members and no organization. It's got to grow or die, and I'm thank ful it's growing!

Instead of looking back at the good old days, which usually really weren't so good if we look at all the angles, it might be more productive to determine what can we do to increase activity at the 100 mile level, if that's what people want.

Personally, I see multiday rides as a fabulous thing and I'm sure they are in part drawing riders away from the 100s. Given people's schedules, the price of fuel, etc., it makes good economic sense to plan a vacation  trip around a multiday.. one trip there and back, several opportunities to earn miles for the effort.

Of course, I haven't done a multiday or a 100 yet, so I'm speaking from the outside looking in.

chris

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think what we are seeing in most of the past couple days is many of
the old timers showing resistance to change. Change will come - trying
to stop it is like trying to hold back the tides. Change is normally
good and the best of all worlds is when change can be built on what has
gone before. Personally I think the AERC has done a wonderful job in
doing that. There has been tremendous change in the last 15 years. Most
of it for the good - as witnessed by the growth in the sport, and the
current thrust to insure the welfare of our equine partners that join us
on the trail.

Truman.

--

?You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace
unless he has his freedom.? Malcolm X