[RC] Future Directions of AERC - Stagg Newman

As Kristen said, please do let BoD members hear from you on views on
Future
Directions of AERC. The BoD will be devoting significant time to the
topic of
our future at the mid-year meeting in San Antonio in late August.

Growth would give us more stength in numbers and resources which can be
used to
promote the creation and preservation of trails for distance riding, to
educate
others about the horsewomanship/horsemanship of long distance riding,
etc.

On the other growth may mean we go further from the roots of the sport
in
"endurnace riding" with the Tevis as the model of an endurance ride,
i.e. we
would have less focus.

I plan to foster a vigorous debate about the possible future directions
of
AERC. Input from the membership is eagerly welcomed!!!

(This is email was also posted on the AERC Members Forum Discussion
Group:
on that discussion group as well as RideCamp as I personally can only
sporadically read
RideCamp because of my volume of email.  I do try to read all of the
email on
the AERC Members Forum.   You may also copy me at
endurance@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Stagg
(President of AERC)

P.P. S. Joe, Great to hear you are doing 100s again!!!   You were one
of my role models when I started the sport.  You definitely have to do
Barbara's Swanton Pacific 100. As Barbara says, "The most beautiful
trail ...." Virgin red wood forests, Pacific Ocean early morning fogs,
chalk cliffs, ...  Mypersonal high point - doing the flume trail at sunset
with the 900 foot canyon
directly below, the sun sinking into the Pacific Ocean in a crimson
sunset, and
the full moon rising in the other quandrat. Totally awesome,
particularly
since I was with my wife who was about to complete her 1st 100 on her
horse's
1st 100.  Magical!!!