Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides - Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Long" <jlong@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides

One of my concerns is that some in the AERC are so obsessed with growth, that
they want to move the focus of the AERC to the shorter rides, even "fun" rides
(shorter than LD's). Like the many once-beautiful parts of our country
suffering "urban sprawl," we should be careful what we wish for. I for one
would rather see a smaller, leaner AERC keeping its focus on endurance, than a
larger organization that has lost its way. But, I guess that's another issue.

I think AERC must have decided that growth was necessary to provide some of the good things that are offered now, like FREE insurance coverage for rides. It was starting to become prohibitively costly to buy liability insurance not too many years ago. One thing I don't like is the number of awards given.....too many awards for too many categories. And I never did approve of splitting into so many divisions. In the law of physics, it makes sense that a horse carrying a heavyweight rider is working harder and at a disadvantage to a horse carrying a lightweight rider, but don't tell the horses that, because there have been some phenomenal accomplishments by good horses despite the weight they carried.

P.S. Given the two mileages on our event, there are consistently twice as
many 75 mile riders as 100 mile riders. (They like finishing before dark.)
Joe, I don't think you have ridden Swanton Pacific yet, have you?????

Not yet, I hope to soon -- it's on my "Must Do" list. And you can bet when I
get there I'll do the 100.

Why not this year???

Barbara