Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides - MtnRondi

In a message dated 7/22/2005 12:02:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, DVeritas@xxxxxxx writes:
I believe the toughest miles to ride on a hundred are the first twenty-five, after that, it's just riding a horse for a long time...well, until you're done.

Exactly... I have only done one 100 and that was Tevis. I had crewed a couple of times, but of course that doesn't prepare you for the trail that is between the crewing spots. Our first 1 hour hold was at 36 miles. I was ready for that vet check! But after that, I just psyched myself to ride from vet check to vet check and not even think about how many miles were left. It worked and we finished with a horse in fantastic shape except for his poor rider, haha. I said I would NEVER do that again. But each new horse I would get I would always look at him and think "are you a 100 miler?" And then start thinking how I would change my strategy the "next" time to keep me healthy.

Bonnie