RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] dogs - heidi

We, too, make decisions as to which of our dogs is suitable to attend rides.
We have 5 dogs.  The Akita adores people and would love to go, but he's a bit
dog aggressive, and just too danged big (125 lb) for our LQ trailer, so he
goes to a kennel.  The lab mix and German shepherd mix are timid of
strangers, and would not really enjoy it, so they stay home.  The sheltie mix
would love it, but she's a yapper, and would drive us and everyone else nuts,
so she stays home.  The geriatric (nearly 13 yr old) malamute loves to go, is
quiet, does well in her crate while we're riding, and so she gets to go when
it's cool.

Another consideration is whether your rig is safe for the dog.  Our
geriatric Mastiff loves to go "roading" with us, and so we try to take
him whenever we can.  My husband likewise thinks he is too big for the
LQ trailer <g> but then there is a jealousy issue there, and hubby will
probably cheer when the poor old fellow finally dies of old age.  (He is
going on 11, so he has already gone far past the actuarial tables for
Mastiffs...)  He doesn't bark unless someone is trying to invade "his"
trailer.  We open up the door between the LQ and the horse portion, and
sweep everything out, so that he can have his doggy bed back there--and
with everything open, he gets a pretty good breeze, even when it's hot.
He only goes outside to go potty, and he is always taken on leash--and
away from where people might step in any dog poop.  If we fail to
achieve that (getting far away to poop), we pick it up.  (A Mastiff
pile is considerable!)  Most folks don't even know we have a dog in
camp, unless they happen to see us walking him from time to time, and
he is happy and comfortable in his "home away from home."  He does tend
to be under foot a bit, but he is at home, too, so we are used to it.
<g>

Heidi