[RC] why trot - apleg8'n

But Bruce, asking one to do heavy loads forever, run 100 miles at breakneck
speed forever is certainly different than asking them to do what comes from
100s of years of breeding and that is gaiting and not doing the same gait
forever at the same pace forever.

To work the other natural gaits, as I mentioned, walk, flatwalk, runwalk,
rack if they can, foxtrot, foxwalk, canter is using the other muscle groups.
We are not putting the stress on the horse such as draft horses working
tremendous loads, Arabs racing across the desert, your metaphors do not jive
with me.

A foxtrotter may well be suited for trotting as the gait itself is close to
a trot..hence the very name. I started out with Foxtrotters before I found
TWH better suited for endurance. But Walking horses, Mountain horses are not
suited to trot and you will be hard pressed to find a well bred horse of
these breeds that does trot or a knowledgeable owner that would let them
trot. None of my horses even offer to trot under saddle, so what does that
tell you about the Natural gait?

In fact the only one that trotted was my Standardbred mare that was an off
track harness racer and a trotter. Once I put her under saddle, it was about
three rides and she went into a natural rack and no longer trots. I was told
most STB's have the natural rack in them and it will come out under saddle.
Was true with Sombra and by the seventh ride she was doing 17.8mph in the
rack, barefoot.

I know others that think along your lines, but they are few. Why not make
the Trotting horses gait then if that is the correct thinking? Let them use
different muscles if all horses should use varying groups?

I stand by my reasoning and centuries of breeding. Gaited horses should gait
under saddle. Trotting horses should trot and do what they are bred for
under saddle. Any horse could be taught to do something else I suppose, but
why *make* them do what is not in their genetic code? Enjoy them for what
they are. Trot or not?
rackinfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com