Re: [RC] Eastern High Sierra Classic - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kathy Myers magnumsmom@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jean,

I've gone to the Eastern High Sierra Classic from Moss Beach!
How funny is that?  You will LOVE it.  It's a beautiful ride
and Bridgeport is still one of our favorite places.

HOWEVER, you will never get over 4 or 108 with a horse trailer.
Well, you might, but you really don't want to.  You have two
options.  You can go over 89 to 395 and south.  That's a nice
drive.  OR, the shortest route is actually through Yosemite.
Think 7 hours vs 9 hours.

We took the Yosemite route.  It costs money to go through the
park, but the views are worth it.  We had lunch up on top near
Tanaya Lake (otherwise known as "lake nocatchafisha").  Back
then (1998?) it cost $20 to go through the park.  You must be
sure your brakes are in excellent condition for both the truck
and the trailer.  Heading down the back side of Yosemite to
Lee Vining is an adventure even if you don't have a horse
trailer.  Definately downshift into a lower gear even if you
have an automatic.  However, motorhomes and all kinds of
trailers go through there all the time.

Once in Lee Vining, stop for an ice cream, or a slice of pie
at Nicely's and head north 1/2 hour to Bridgeport.  There is
a great breakfast place... "Hayes St. Cafe" and a great
mexican place in Bridgeport.  Of course there is nothing better
than ridecamp.  Make sure your crew brings their fishing poles.

One other reason we didn't go over 89 to Carson City and then
south on 395 was because we didn't want to deal with going
into Nevada and then back into CA.

Anyways, I saw you write "4" and thought "ACK!!".  You don't
want to drag a horse trailer up there especially if you have
never driven it.  We drove 4 (in a small car) exactly ONCE
and it is a long miserable road.  108 is much nicer, but not
accessable with a trailer.  Which actually keeps it nice.

Have a great time!

:) - Kathy Myers
now in Santa Fe, NM
magnumsmom at aol d com
ps... we did see someone with a travel trailer attempt to
go over 108.  ha.  They got WEDGED between the rocks on either
side of the road.  Fortunately they got unwedged and backed
down to Kennedy Meadows with only damage to the trailer.  If
they had not gotten unwedged, we would have had to turn around
and change plans.