[RC] wide saddle search - Nancy

My daughter's horse Lyric is about as round as a 50 gallon barrel.  We have
had nothing but saddle trouble with her from day one.  I received tremendous
support from all the knowledgeable people on Ride camp. They have helped me
through several saddle traumas.
Lyric's first saddle that fit was an Abetta endurance.  The Abetta fit for
about 8 months as she had a growth spurt and litterly grew out of it.  I
personally liked the Abetta as it was light weight, inexpensive and very
comfortable to ride in.  They now make an Arab tree that is wider than the
standard endurance model. Her second and current endurance saddle is a
Sharon Saare, F tree.  It is about the widest tree available.  I really like
the Saare saddles, well made, good leather and very durable. (I ride my
horse Jazzi in a B tree.)
When Lyric first came to us I ordered a Bob Marshall endurance.  Beautiful
saddle, just too long for her short round back.  Part of the problem was my
short round bottom! Now my slim daughter and Lyric growing an inch or two in
length, a 14 inch Bob Marshall barrel saddle fits perfectly. Lyric moves out
with this saddle and has new gears we didn't know were there.
Lyric also has a all purpose English saddle, a draft saddle! Yep, that is
one wide saddle.  We recently measured Lyric with a flexible curve and found
her to be 9 1/2 inches wide in the withers were the bars would be.  No
wonder almost all saddles do not fit. Oh, and her back is very flat too.
Even with all her saddle choices Dani and Lyric prefer to go bare back for
most of the local training rides.
Don't let the great saddle search get you down.  You will find the right
saddle, it just may take a while. Keep an eye on the endurance.net
classified adds.  I found a lot of useful information in the ads too.  Good
luck!
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA (were all the horses and dogs love any part of the
watermelon!)