[RC] Fort Stanton - Dreamweaver

We had a great time on the trip to Fort Stanton and back. I decided to work today so have not had a chance yet to work on my photos from the ride. I took a lot and will get them online into albums hopefully tonight or tomorrow. It was a long trip for us, 2300 miles. I got to do a little of everything, from standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona (really, with 2 horses even, lol!) to spelunking to riding my horse for six days! I did bring two horses, one of which was only useful as a trailer ornament all week, but it was great experience for him. He handled it very well, and probably gained 100 pounds eating so well all week. It would have been a good ride to take him on (he's only done one 50 so far) because the trail was very safe and moderate -- there were no bogs or cliffs or bees.

I rode Chief 330 miles. We liked going to New Mexico and seeing what the trails are like there. Not really much different than a lot of trails we've been on, there was dirt, rocks, hills, water, trees, some cactus, and grass :). We got to see the Fort, and the cemetery, graves of Buffalo soldiers, petroglyphs (as an added bonus I got to see the same windmill more than anybody else) as well as a lot of our friends. There was actually Lots of water! It took me a couple of days to figure out the trail markings (i.e., pay attention) and once we did then the rest of the week went really well. There were two vet checks each day, most of them being in camp. They had breakfast available and dinners for the riders each night. We got $10 gift certificates from Horses Dacor for completing each day, so I have $60 to spend on something for Chief. I think I'll get him some more rehydrating spray so that I can keep his coat soft and supple and from drying out when he's doing all of these rides. For doing the first three days we got a Fort Stanton jacket, for doing the second three days we got a Fort Stanton hooded sweatshirt, and for doing all 6 days on the same horse we got a Fort Stanton rump rug. I guess the benefit of riding a horse 6 days is that you find out if your 5 day horse was really 'fit to continue' the next day. The really neat thing is how I felt so completely one with my horse, and it seemed odd to be done with the ride and become separate again. I guess I can't really explain it, but it was a neat feeling having that kind of a connection with my horse. :)

There were four horse and rider teams that did all 6 days of 55's. I think I can get them all right (hopefully) -- Sherrie Reimers and Samuel, Patty Danley and DeeDee, Bailey Rose Eiland and Barbi, and me and Chief. Linda Sherrill did all 6 days of LD, and sorry I don't know her horses name (I know her easyboot size tho <g>).

It was fairly warm all week, but not too bad. High 90's maybe. We were lucky enough to have some afternoon clouds that helped a lot, and an occasional breeze. The over abundance of water on the trail helped a lot to keep the horses hydrated and the riders cool. By the end of the week I was having water fights with Dave Rabe, throwing scoops of water on each other as well as squeezing our water bottles so that we could pretend it was raining on us!

I used epics and some new bungee boots (easyboots with no buckle or cable) on Chief. He doesn't have shoes nailed on and this wasn't the kind of trail you could ride a barefoot horse on. The new boots are thicker and provide as good or better protection than a nailed on shoe anyway, and they worked really well. Two of the boots I used all 6 days also did 5 days at Schellbourne, and I think maybe 2 days at another ride, so they have done at least 11 days if not 13 and still have tread and are in great shape.

I'll post when I get some photos up of the trail, camp, riders, and even our spelunking adventure!

Karen
in NV