[RC] FW: Tevis Lost Horse - Steph Teeter

Thanks Bob - I'll forward this message along-

Steph
-----Original Message-----
From: STELLERIDE@xxxxxxx [mailto:STELLERIDE@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 6:02 AM
To: steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tevis Lost Horse

Stephie & John - I just read on EN about the lost horse and replied the following;  You may wish to send this out on the EN for everyones benefit.  Seven years ago we lost our Markoss+/ in the Colorado Pikes Peak Wilderness area which had a significant population of cougars and bear. When horsemen searching in grid formation could not find him we hired a helicopter and a search plane and Monika and I rode for nine days looking for him.  It is a very sad, helpless and terrible feeling.  He was also injured because the saddle had slipped to the side and a breast collar strap cut two sixteen inch gashes under his "arm pit" four inches deep. Finally two deer hunters found him and we led him out. He was not in good condition.  The predators would have probably taken him down in a few more days.  This whole incident was written up in Western Horseman.  Later, an old cowboy wrote in and said when you lose a horse like this take out another horse and tie him to a tree where your horse disappeared and go off a distance.  The tied horse will whinny for companionship and very possibly call in the lost horse.  The lost horse may hear him as much as a mile away.  If we had done this we would have had him recovered in just a day since he was found just a half a mile from where he was last seen.  We have great empathy for anyone who loses their horse.  Markoss+/ went on to win many more endurance rides and BCs, Thank God! Hope this helps. Bob & Monika Steller.