Re: [RC] Spot's barnsour....(kinda lenghty) - Kathy Ramspott

My guy is the exact same way!!! Amazing!! You just need to add grunting and a little bit of rearing in there and we have the same young, green horse. I am not experienced by any stretch although this is my 4th green horse I've had endurance aspirations with. I think he might be it since he does have energy but is also very responsive given the right situation and definitely gives me plenty of warning when he is about to act out so I can get things under control very quickly. Anyway, what I decided the other night is that he must just be so bored with doing the whole walking away from the barn and doing circles while I get my confidence up that he acts out so I just yesterday took him to a park and walked him in hand, fully tacked, for a very long time. He was wonderful. I really really wanted to get on him but didn't bring my helmet and was too chicken to get on without it. He got braver and braver as we passed the pipes and ditches and tarps etc. He was very responsive and very sensitive to anything I did. I halted, backed, with the reins turned him and faked getting on him and he stood perfectly. I am really thinking he just loves being out and about and is bored with the whole riding around the barn and in the pasture thing. Some people might think I'm ridiculous for doing this in hand but we are both pretty green and I'm taking it literally, one step at a time.

I'd love to hear if you hit on something that helps your relationship

Kathy R SE

Instead of going where directed, he tried to head to the barn at a jig, I tried to pull him down into a walk, but he can jig VERY slow and with no forward movement at all. (thinking dressage here....). So I tried to turn him around and get his attention. He then tried to drop his head and buck. I pulled his head back up. He started going in reverse. I gave a bit with my hands and said go forward. He dropped his head and tried to buck. So I pulled his head around to the side to keep the reverse under control AND keep the head up, and he started to spin. Reining style. I released and tried to push forward, again the attempt at bucking. So I jumped off, beat him and yelled a bit (I know, I know, but I wasn't expecting this, and was mad/frustrated/worried about my neck), then took him into the round pen with me on foot (no fight from the horse) and cinched his saddle so tight I don't know how he breathed, then got on and worked him. All of this is in a french link sna ffle that he seems to like and does respond too.