RE: [RC] [RC] Stall rest and things to do with your horse - Linda Cowles

>> go to www.trickhorse.com Carole has a few "how to" tricks on her site.

This site cracks me up!!!

Shatirr was laid up following 8 instances of tying up when he was 5 years old. His recoup period was 6 weeks of stall rest and hand walking. While he was laid up I taught him to "talk" with me. He learned "yes" (nodding) and "no" (pinning his ears and looking away), "yuck" (pinning his ears and making a spit-it-out face) and "yummy" (licking his lips with his ears forward). He learned to count (he's no math wiz) , point at things and touch things with his nose.

Now all of my horses know these "stupid horse tricks" and use them all the time to communicate with humans. They run loose on the property while we're home, and if I ask Gabby where Shatirr is, he literally looks in the general direction and points with his nose. He may even call him for me. They all answer yes or no when asked if they want to eat (always "yes"!) or to be wormed (always no). They know how to ask for fly grease (Gnat Away or clear Swat) by coming up to me and pointing to the areas that itch with their ears pinned.

I taught Shatirr to point at trail signs, marking ribbons and flour arrows after I got lost on a ride... I showed him the target (ribbon, sign or flour marker), asked him "put your nose on it" or "touch it" and rewarded him pith a carrot piece. After the third touch, he had the game mailed and became the worlds best backseat driver.

I use food rewards when teaching communication - or tricks - and insist that the horses always be respectful and wait for the treat to be extended to them. Clicker training is cool, too.

They get really funny about communicating with you. Gabby always has comments on bits (I almost always ride him in a rope halter hackamore); he does the upper lip curl thing with his nose pointed in the air, pins his ears and closes his eyes and shakes his head softly... he's saying "Not the BIT! Not the BIT!!" Then he looks at me, hopefully, and if I'm still offering the bit, will take it politely with a resigned sigh.

It's body language, its fun to get into, and can really start making a difference in how your horse interacts with people... they start expecting you to pay attention to their attempts to communicate.

One time the trough water  got turned off. Gabby grabbed a scoop that was laying around waved it at me with his ears pinned, walked over and dropped it into the trough <Clunk!>, and looked at me with this "you should be on top of this stuff" look on his face.

It can be a lot of fun... but not as much fun as riding! I hope your horse gets well soon!  Linda

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com
HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx