[RC] roughed up heels - Jean Bauer

After completing 30 Gold Country ride using four epic boots (no shoes), I notice that my horses heels are all roughed up.  There is no blood or ooze, but I am wondering about this heel damage.  During the ride, the right front epic separated below the gaiter..the boot ripped off with only the gaiter remaining :((  There are only 80 miles on these boots.

Is the heel strap doing this?  I am putting on the boots wrong?  There wasn't this heel damage after our first two 25's.  Has anyone else experienced this damage?  I wrapped his hoof and fetlock with a few turns of vet wrap to prevent chafing.  But this heel damage is new.  I had one suggestion that I switch to the old style EZ boots.  What do you more experienced riders think?  Also, do I have to wait until the roughness is healed before I use boots again?  Must I put shoes on his feet to continue?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Jean and Chi