Re: [RC] [RC] cell phones on the trail - Truman Prevatt

It's called satellite cell. It's wonderful if you don't mind a 9 inch external antenna and 10 bucks a minute. Think about it for a minute, cell providers are in it to make money. The American way is for companies to make money - not provide service at a loss. This model works well. The antennas are terrestrial - that is they are located on the earth and only stick up a 100 feet if that. Cell is line of sight - if you cannot draw a line between you and the antenna with out running into some blockage, the antenna cannot see you electronically so your cell phone won't work. There are some places it doesn't pay a cell company to build an expensive antenna since they would end up spending more money than it would produce.

That being said, the Verizon signal structure is more robust than the Cingular (AT&T) signal structure and it will usually work better in fringe areas than the Cingular signal sturcture. That doesn't however mean there won't be dead spots. With terrestrial cell service there will always be dead spots. Think about it - that's actually good. That means there are still places where there are not enough people to warrent the spending of lots of money to construct cell towers. That means we still have some places to ride ;-) .

Truman

Lauretta: