From: RHONDA LEVINSON <rhndlev@xxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:56:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Stallion question

<<I doubt seriously that the woman who owned the horse has any assets left. I'm sure the family of the dead people sued and won.>>

No offense to Chris, but this is a really common misconception about the law. Just to let other horse and stallion owners know so they don't get really stressed about this, the woman who owned the horse would not have lost all of her assets. The woman's HOME OWNER'S INSURANCE would have paid off any lawsuit. This is why we have homeowner's insurance. Please remember this if you're ever on a jury -- it's the insurance company (wealthy and evil) that is paying the verdict, not the homeowner/horseowner/driver/whoever.

Also, in Kansas, where Chris and I live, even if you don't have insurance and end up with a judgment against you, your homestead is exempt from being executed upon to satisfy a judgment (it cannot be taken and sold at a sheriff's auction). Also, you are allowed on e car per person sued that cannot be taken, and a fair amount of household goods.

Anyway, none of this gets rid of the guilt or brings anyone back to life, but you won't end up on the street or anything.

Rhonda

"...when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another Heaven and another Earth must pass before such a one can be again." William Beebe