[RC] Stallions - apleg8'n

Jess,

I too wondered about the idear of leaving stallions all alone. I ran my
young stallion with the herd until he started breeding last year as a just
turned 2yo. Then I left him in with the bred mares until a month before
foaling this spring. He was a very happy camper and I thought why on earth
do people keep the poor things all alone??

This year I found out why. He discovered as a three yo what exactly his
purpose in life is all about. I was warned he would no longer be my sweet
little baby boy as he matured. He still has a fabulous disposition, but the
hormones have kicked in and nature is running its course.

I put him in with his older brothers that up until this year always kicked
his butt. This year he became studdy and wanted to "play" stallion with
them. Not a good time.

Also he was much more aggressive with the mares during breeding and there
was no way I would leave him in alone with the girls for several reasons.

First I only want to hand breed this stallion. I plan to put him under
saddle and he must learn that he can breed only when I let him. In other
words, if he were allowed to pasture breed at will, he would think he could
do that out on the trail. Big Trouble!  Also and the main reason is all it
takes is one kick to the testicles and you have lost your most valuable
assest to your breeding program.

I have seen my mares come very close to hitting the target when they are not
ready to be bred and it is too scary to ever take a chance of harming my
priceless stallion. I know of way too many stories of Stallions getting
killed, permanently disabled or having to be put down because of one kick to
the groin.

Above all else I want my boy to be mannerly, treat the mares with respect
and treat me with supreme respect. Stallions are not to ever be
underestimated no matter how docile you think one is. They are driven by
their hormones and instinct. They are powerful creatures and once they have
been breeding they are not the same as before.

I now keep my stud in a nice big area where he can run, buck, get plenty of
exercise and see all of his girls. In fact he is on a fence line with some
of the brood mares. He is very happy in this set up. I tried to take him to
a spring pasture in back where he could not see the mares and then he threw
a fit. I took him back to his old place immediately. As long as he can keep
watch on his mares he is perfectly happy.

This season of breeding he totally changed from my little baby of last year.
But I had a trainer out and he showed me how to keep Shotgun a mannerly
stallion and how to breed him to respect the mares and myself. He is still a
sweetheart and that is how I want him to stay. There is a whole different
way to approach stallions and at some point you must learn this or your life
could be in jeopardy. I have bought two books expressly on handling
stallions and I suggest you do the same if you plan to breed this stud of
yours and even more so if you plan to ride him with mixed company. Nothing
worse than an unruly squealing stallion at any sort of ride.

A good rule that was told to me when I first started breeding my boy and he
was still such a little baby.....NEVER, NEVER turn your back on a stallion
no matter how sweet you may think he is. You never know what will go through
their minds at a given moment. Keep them afraid of you...not to say you beat
them, but keep them respectful of you at all times. Never allow any nipping
not ONE time. It gets worse as they breed and get older. Remember...once
they breed all bets are off and their mind totally changes.

I have ridden a couple of stallions and there is nothing like the power and
savvy of a stallion! I love them. I can't wait to get my stud under saddle.
I work with him in the round pen a couple times a week on the ground to keep
him mindful of me, focused on me, listening to me. It is important to keep
the bond going with your stud and always keep the respect between you and
him.

Good luck and I hope that answers your question at least from this
perspective and I think you will find this most peoples reasoning for
keeping them alone. Unfortunately I see way too many stallions in a little
tiny stall never to be handled until they are breeding and that is so
unfair.  They still like to be groomed, bathed, worked with like any other
horse. And I hate to see any horse in a tiny enclosure. They need to run and
have some fun.

Good Luck!
amber
rackinfool