RE: [RC] round bales-anybody feeding? - Chris Paus

I'm lucky. I have a tractor with a bale spike. It's a snap to move bales and a whole lot easier on my arthritic self than lugging around squares! I'm also lucky that my pastures are right up close to my house, so I don't have to go very far.

The only problem I've run into with round bales is that my stallion, who is usually by himself, just can't finish a big one, so I look for the "baby" bales that are left over at the end of a baling operation. they are just right for him.

chris

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

We have two methods for unloading. Method #1 involves
backing up to a tree or a solid post, putting a tow strap around the
bale and hooking it to a rope LOW on the post, and then driving out
from under it. (One does have to either have a break-away in the rope
system, or back up to the bale and shove it a few inches to loosen the
rope.) Alternately, with the bales on the trailer, we back up to the
bales with the feed truck and use the same noose system, but just pull
the bales off with the truck. The second method, which we only use for
single bales, is to just back up and then put the brakes on--the bale
will come zipping right out of the truck. Be careful not to use this
method straight downhill on any significant incline with a round bale,
though, because it will roll all the way to the bottom, taking out
purtnear anything in its path. (As the country western song says,
"Don't ask me how I know..." )

Heidi