[RC] scratches or ??? - Marlene Moss

Hi,

I’m writing for a friend of mine.  She has been dealing with “something” like scratches on her horse for well over 6 months now.  I first saw it last September, but she thought it was just a reaction from wearing interference boots.  The horse has pretty furry legs (even though arab) so she didn’t really pay more attention at the time since it wasn’t obvious.

The horse has had a couple surgeries – one to cut the check ligament for a club foot, and the other to cut the cunean tendons for arthritis.  That was done over the winter so the horse was kept in a stall for a while.  It was immediately after the check ligament procedure that he came up lame and sore in the hocks and then had the cuneans cut.  Right after that, like the first day the horse was allowed out on pasture, something really weird happened – it appeared he sprained his rear pasterns.

You could hear a clicking noise and actually see the pasterns moving between P1 and P2.  It was really strange.  He was soft casted and when the casts came off, the “scratches” were really a mess.  One vet has a theory that since the “scratches” or whatever was there all along, it inflamed internal tissues, weakening things, allowing the pastern issues.

This was months and months ago and the horse has primarily been on stall rest with the pastern problem and all the while treating what appeared to be scratches.  But it really doesn’t seem like normal scratches because it’s come up almost to the hocks, well beyond the white area.  The owner has been cleaning and treating the scabs but it quickly scabs back over and there is a yellowish gunk over very pink skin.

The vet no longer believes it is scratches and is doing blood work now.  I’ve heard people saying that there have been lots of weird cases of scratches this year, but nothing like this.  Someone suggested that the horse be tested for lupus.  I tried to do some research on lupus in horses for her, but didn’t come up with much.

Does anyone have any ideas?  She’s spent an awful lot of money on all this – the vet has been out almost every week since January and he’s trying to be judicious with the tests to avoid slamming her with more huge bills.  And she’s also very frustrated as she’d hoped to be beginning to compete in endurance this year – and the horse isn’t thrilled either!  Last year she did her first ride and really fell in love with the sport.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

Available for saddle fitting at Colfax Coalrush endurance ride in NM

www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)