Re: [RC] Bitless, sidepull, hackmore... - Chris Paus

My take would be to take a deep breath, relax and just spend some bonding time with your horse. i think maybe you are trying too many approaches to this. Maybe the answer is to step back and let the horse tell you what she needs.

My first endurance gelding was high headed, flighty, nervous, totally unable to relax. One day I realized a good part of his problem was ME. I THOUGHT I was relaxed, but really I wasn't. I THOUGHT I was a good rider, but I sure needed improvement.

I read horse training books, sought the advice of respected round pen trainers, tried a myriad of bits and other contraptions.

What finally brought us together in much more harmony was to take six months off from competition to take classical dressage lessons. The instructor worked with Star on the ground and he worked with me on his own horse. I went back to square one. He took away my reins and worked the horse on the lunge line. I had NO idea how much I was balancing myself on poor Star's mouth until he took my reins away! No wonder he was resistant. When I got a more independent seat and used my hands more effectively, Star was a different horse! He's still more nervous than my other horses, but, he is light years better than he was when I first got him.

I've also come to accept that some of Star's actions are him. He's the alpha horse. He's always on the lookout for boogers and monsters. The other horses can relax because Star is the sentinal. He is what my easterner friend calls a "keen" horse. He's extremely aware of everything. I've just had to accept that and work with his talents the way he is. After 8 years, we've become a pretty good team, although we still have what I call "Star" moments.

As for calming agents, I've tried them and have been totally unimpressed. I think it would have been better to give them to me than the horse, LOL. I've tried them all.

Oh, this brings up another point...what are you feeding her? Feeds can add a lot of "fizz" to the horse.

I think your mare has some special gifts to give you. You'll discover these in time. Good luck..

chris

mjwest02@xxxxxxx wrote:
I just wanted to THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions to my question about bitless vs. sidepull.

In this search I have realized that I have to go back yet another step to find out WHY my mare is so anxious and how to get her to RELAX.  It will be better for both of us once we "peel the onion" back further.  Getting to the root of the cause will usually cure all the other issues, however, it is thinking outside the box at this point as to what else may be the PROBLEM.   Teeth, Chiro and Massages have been done/given - and with each of these I see a small improvement.

I don't believe in "drugs" to cure a problem, but was now wondering about the herbal calming products out there.  I don't want them forever, but if I could get her to relax and stretch and feel better, I am hoping she will learn to do this on her own.
Has anyone tried these with any success?   She is STUCK between "mind and body"  - since we have done everything physical to get her to relax, we are now thinking it is a "past training" issue that has her fearful, anxious and tense.

We have: bonded, joined-up, play the 7 parelli games on line and at liberty, practice the lateral flex - on ground and on back.  For those of you familiar with Pat Parelli and his Levels, the only thing that stops US from passing Level I is the last part of trotting consistently for 20 minutes - on the rail.  She wants to speed up or slow down and will come off the rail at any given moment.     I have ridden her in a "cherokee" bridle and the carrot stick in an arena - so her willingness is there - no bucking, biting or kicking vices whatsoever.

Do I resort to an "animal communicator" to give me the answers I can't find??

Thanks for all your support and suggestions - and if you want to tell me I am crazy for thinking about an animal communicator, please do so privately!! LOL.

Mary

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com