From: Zephyr Arabians <z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [RC] Bitless Bridle/Mech Hack

--- Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So can you explain why the mechanical hackamore give
> more control? I have
> seen a lot of people use them and know they have
> some leverage, but don't
> have a good idea of how they work.

It has the leverage & "nutcracker" action of a curb
bit, just without the bit through the mouth.  Like
curb bits, the amount of pressure is determined by the
length of the shanks; mechanical hackamores are
available in a wide variety of styles and levels of
severity.  The degree of "whoa" can also be altered by
the material across the nose (wide, skinny, soft,
hard) and the choice of curb chain or curb strap.
But, even a mild mechanical hack -- like the "Little
S" or the "Beetle" or the "jumping hackamore" -- can
have quite a "whoa" on them in comparison to a
non-shanked bit.

Here's a Little S:
http://www.sportack.com/images/ASH04.jpg
As you can see, the shanks are quite short, so this is
about as mild as mechanical hackamore leverage gets.
However, most Little S hackamores are made with that
stiff nose, which does offer some "bite" across the
nose (some sellers do offer them with softer/milder
materials as well).  The Little S works well for
endurance because of the design the shanks don't hang
below the mouth and make it really easy for the horse
to eat & drink while wearing it.

Here's a Beetle:
http://www.barrelracer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hackbeetl.jpg
It has a tad longer shanks than the Little S, and I've
never seen one without the stiff single rawhide nose.

Here's the one that used to be called a "jumping
hackamore" or "English hackamore" but I rarely see it
called that anymore (and is always sold in the
"western bits" sections of catalogs not English
anymore):
http://images.auctionants.com/5-105278.jpg
It's got 6" cheeks, so similiar leverage to the Little
S, but this one always has that wide, padded nose.
This is the mechanical hackamore that I've used the
most & use on my gelding (I also wrap the chain in
vetwrap to help prevent pinching).

Then, on the other end of the spectrum from those
three relatively mild hackamores, you have this:
http://www.moonrakerqh.com/tack/gfx/bit-25-1000.jpg
That one has 8" to 9" shanks (lots of leverage) and a
rubber wrapped bike chain nose (lots of bite).  You
won't find many horses that will run through a
hackamore like that (I'm sure they exist, but I
wouldn't want to ride them!).

There are a WIDE variety of mechanical hackamores out
there.  And, like any bit, they are really only as
harsh or as mild as the hands they're in.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com