Re: [RC] LT/LH Natural Balance Shoes - Truman Prevatt

The horse I am riding now had udnerslung heels and of coure grew a ton. We tried almost everything with two previous farriers. When we moved to where we are not my farrier suggested we try them - this was before they even had steel shoes. It took time to reform the hoof, but it happened. We can now get him up to the correct angles (based on his shoulder and pastern angel) and he keeps it.

They are not for every horse but when used correctly and put on correctly they can help some horses - they sure did mine.

Truman

Karen Standefer wrote:

Here is a good link to the Natural Balance site that will explain in detail how the shoe helps to get the foot back under the horse:

www.hopeforsoundness.com <http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/>

Basically, the trim MUST be done correctly (the most important part) and I really think you need to be pretty aggressive with the heels. I’ve seen many more incorrectly applied NB shoes than I have correctly applied ones. The shoe is not the miracle worker, it is the trim. Have your farrier study the trimming portion of the site and maybe even invest in the trimming video AND the shoeing video (you’ll get different tips on both videos).

Basically, if you look at your horse’s hoof from the side (easiest to take a picture and then study it), you’ll see that the heel runs so far under the hoof that the base of support starts under the hoof rather than under the boney column. The goal is to get the heels back to the widest part of the frog, not the middle of the frog. This will put the heel buttresses (where the heel turns inward to form the bars) under the boney column which is where they need to be in order to support the weight of the horse.

Applying the shoes correctly (after trimming the hoof correctly) will put the heels back where they should be and also places the breakover back where it should be (1/4” forward of the tip of the coffin bone) which will cause the hoof to load properly and should eventually get the horn tubules growing in the right direction.

I really sggest looking to see if Gene Ovnicek has a clinic coming up near you that your farrier could attend. He won’t regret it.

Karen

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.10/43 - Release Date: 7/6/2005

--

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

- Carl Sagan