Re: [RC] Bitless Bridle - Chris Paus

Let me try to "splain." Someone else may jump in here and correct me....

As you can see, it's more like a bosal. In fact, some people use the terms interchangeably. It is a stiff nosepiece. Reins are attached under the chin. You steer the horse by pulling it's head to the side for turns right or left. It's used a lot for schooling youngsters. It's a direct action type of equipment. If you pull left, the horse turns left, etc because you are leading it's head that direction.

The "bitless" bridle is a different kind of sidepull. The steering mechanism is two straps that cross under the horse's throatlatch to the chin with rings attached for the reins. Here's a picture of that:  http://www.bitlessbridle.com/ .. some people call them "crossunder sidepulls".

If you pull on the left rein, it exerts pressure on the right side of the poll, down the right side of the throatlatch to the left side of the chin. It's a more indirect action.

Either type of sidepull may help relax the horse. A snaffle may also give you the result you are looking for. How are you riding with the curb bit? It may be your action on the reins that is causing her to overflex and be inconsistent. Or she may not be ready to school in a curb bit yet, if she hasn't gained her balance in a snaffle. Or you may be asking her to do one thing with your seat and legs and asking for something else with your hands. I find that people do that A LOT. I've been guilty of that myself.

A horse doesn't relax and drop its head from pulling on its face in any manner, bitted or bitless. It relaxes and breaks at the poll from shifting its weight to its back legs and moving in proper form. Make sure you aren't riding your horse from front to back. Ride it from back to front and you'll be happier with the results no matter what you put on her head.

Hope this helps.

chris

mjwest02@xxxxxxx wrote:
I am coming to the best for opinion and input:

Is a Bitless Bridle considered the same as a "side pull" bridle?   A friend let me borrow her "side pull", when come to find out, another friend saw me and said, Oh, you have a bitless bridle just like I use.. Now I am confused.

The results I am trying for are to get the horse to LOWER her head, stretch her back and RELAX.  A curb bit will cause her to overflex, then she nervously chews the bit and will not keep her gait consistent.

Suggestions please... THANKS!

MJW

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com