Re: [RC] saddle fit insanity--Mr. Ed's coffee is probably great too - Mary Krauss

I appreciate this sentiment Mr. Ed, I mean, Cowboy Ed. It's just that the critter tried to buck me off! I thought that a pretty good signal that the shoe that looked like a size 10 really must be a size 2....

In regards to your own story, I suspect you are experienced enough to put your saddle on different horses differently so that the fit comes out about right. And that you have a nice, wide saddle to begin with. And that you use many "normal" horses, ie, with withers at least. A talented barista can make pretty good espresso even with bad beans and a crummy machine.... (Can you tell I live near Seattle? :-) On the other hand, I rode bareback for much of my life, then took lessons on horses who came with the saddle on, then rescued my Arab and bought my baby Andalusian without really knowing much about gear. It was an epiphany to discover just how far back one needs to place the saddle. I thought I had it as far back as I dared go. Now the darn thing seems to fit anyone.... Especially since Kelly Nutter e-mailed me her thoughts on that centered rigging--how the heck was I supposed to know how THAT thing worked....

Other than that, I agree with you that riding is more important than worrying. Course, I'm shopping for a lever espresso machine so that I can enjoy screwing up making my espresso on many more levels than on a pump machine....

Mary K
Salima and Bruiser
Fred Hook endurance saddle
Trails West gooseneck stock trailer with a new floor and lots of cosmetic rust