[RC] Sweet Tooth - Picky Eater - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am sure that you will get tons of good advice re this subject,
but just in my experience, Shaba will sometimes eat good at the
vet check, sometimes not.  Depends upon how many horses are there
and what is going on.  When he is eating, I let him eat whatever
he wants at the time.  Some kind of food is better than no food.
And he NEVER wants to eat what I want him to at the time.
When we are moving on the trail, however, he is the king of
scavengers, and has become a pro at the 'grab and go' eating
method.  How he can dip his head completely down or to the side,
grab a whole mouthful of food and still not miss a step I will
never know, but he has the timing down perfectly.  Does yours
make up for being picky at the vet checks by trying to eat on the
trail later?  If mine is having a picky episode and then decides to eat, I will
try to give him a few minutes to do so when he
shows an interest, so that I do not have to rely on just the vet
hold times for him to eat enough to keep going. It also helps him
with his gut sounds, as he always has a bite of food rumbling
through...

Lauretta and Shaba (Why would I want to eat HAY on the road?  I
can get that at home....why can't Mom take me to that Willie
Wonka horse paradise, where you can eat all of the horse cookies,
carrots, and fruit pies you want all day long??...okay, okay, and
maybe a little beet pulp......)