[RC] Tying to the trailer vs Bungees et al - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta  tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

While I agree that horses are designed for eating and grazing
in a lowered head position, I was told that this could contribute
to a 'high-low' syndrome with their front hooves (let me make the
disclaimer now that I am NOT an expert w/ hooves or horse
physiology, and am not stating this as a FACT; I am ASKING if
this could happen).  When I first started taking Shaba to my old
shoer, he immediately asked me if my horse fed off the ground and
then showed me how he was longer in the toe on one front and had
a shorter heel on the other, and explained that this was because
Shaba was in the habit of eating with one leg positioned more in
front of the other, so that one would wear more in the front and
one more in the back.  He suggested that I move his feed to a
holder off of the ground, which I did, and to his credit I did
start noticing a gradual evening out of the wear on the fronts.
He also did an exceptional job shoeing, so this of course
factored into the corrections as well.  Would anyone agree or
disagree w/ this theory?  Feeding off the ground seemed to con-
tribute to correcting the problem, but I wonder why more grazing
horses wouldn't have this problem (or do they and I am just ignorant
of the issue)?  Again, not saying it is fact one way or the other
on this, just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this or
agreed with the theory.

Lauretta and Shaba (there is NOTHING wrong with my hooves...they
fit me just fine just the way they are...)