RE: [RC] Horse collapse question - Chris Paus

I had a pony who had grand mal seizures. They were quite different from what is described here. She would flip herself over violently and then lay on the ground paddling like she was swimming. It would take several minutes for her to come out of it and then she would be stiff and strange acting for a day or two afterward.

the first time it happened, I had a hold of her halter, not realizing anything was wrong. She flippped me over with her! This is a little 500 pound, 40 inch pony and I'm a big person!  After that, I was always very careful never to hold onto her halter and never to get between her and a fence or tree or other object.

We had a lot of testing done on her and nothing was conclusive. We ended up euthanizing her for chronic laminitis and we never determined if it was related to the seizure thing or if it was two separate things happening to her.

chris

"Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M." <suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As others have commented, it *could* be seizures, all kinds of neural
issues. However, much more common is just a very transient period of
hypotension, ie, loss of blood pressure to the brain. Pretty common,
sometimes when a horse flips his head just right, usually a straight up,
nose-in-the-air sort of posture. Blood pressure drops for just a second or
two, they faint, fall over like a ton of bricks, and then get up and are
fine in a minute or two. They go over all stiff-legged and sometimes lay
there sort of twitching for a few seconds. Scares the bejesus out of the
owner, but it isn't anything to get frantic over if it happens just this
once. If it happens again, then have your vet come and give him a
once-over. If it ever does happen again, think back to what was going on at
the time... bet he had just flipped his head straight up.

We get panicky emergency phone call JUST like yours about six times a year
and it's ALWAYS a horse that had just been flipping his head around.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM