Re: [RC] Horse collapse question - Jody Rogers-Buttram

BINGO !!!!
I had a horse, my old endurance horse Booy, that made it to over 5000 miles, anyway, when he was young, he was injured in a ride, fell over backwards in a creek (Joe Long remembers this one).  It must have hurt him somewhere along the spine.  After that, if he was forced to throw his head up, like for fly spray or trying to lead him into someplace he didn't want to go....he would pinch a nerve, and fall over.  He will get up in a few seconds, stand a little wobbling for a minute, then be ok.  I almost drowned him in a pond one time....so whatever you do, don't take him swimming.  I tried it, not thinking, he put his head in that same postion, and pinched that nerve.  Barely got him out of the pond.  I had him at Mississippi Vet school and had them look at him.   They could look at the neck nerves/vertebra but not down the back without sedating him.  I couldn't risk that, because he had bone chip surgery earlier and had a horrible time in recovery trying to stand....guess why???  Yep, he would pinch that nerve trying to get up, and it would knock him back down.  He finally was able to stand, and he stood in the corner of the recovery stall with his head in the corner propping himself up....for a couple hours.  So, lessons learned:
  1. No surgery unless absolutely vital.
  2. No swimming.
  3. No pulling or forcing him into something.

So, be careful with your horse...I was always afraid he would pinch it in half or something, and I would have to put him down.

Jody

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Please Reply to: Julie jules@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A VERY strange thing happened to my horse yesterday and wondered if anyone has experienced or heard of this happening before.
I was applying fly spray to my boy in his stall before turning him out (he hates this and usually throws his head up and backs away from me)he did this as usual but went stiff and actually fell over on his side in his stall! He got up right away and seem dazed for a moment but within 30 seconds or so was fine. I let him outside and he began eatting, everything appeared to be normal.
Any ideas?
Julie