[RC] Training toward an Endurance Futurity - Beth Leggieri

This is a great timely discussion for those of us with foals on the ground and who are now  contemplating their future careers.  I would like to see some feedback on RideCamp about suggested timelines for these babies, especially in light of bone closure rates and the respect due to the historical equine cultures that refrain from serious work until at least age 7 (the vaquero culture, the Spanish Riding Academy, etc.).

So--let's define serious work within the endurance culture with the goal of  career longevity.  Is that stepping up to 100 mile rides at age 7 after having conditioned for say 3 years, or is that--for argument's sake--beginning intensive conditioning for 25 miles at age 7 and moving up to 100 miles by age 10?

Thanks for the feedback.

Beth Leggieri
Denton, TX

"My treasures do not chink or glitter, They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night" - Bedouin Proverb

Or . . . The Middle-Aged Endurance Rider's Lament: "If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough."

Yahoo! Sports