[RC] [RC] bungee ties....not my horses - Dreamweaver

Not my horses either! Bungees are dangerous. As far as setting up a hi-tie arrangement so that it is safe -- I recommend doing what Jonni has done (she has photos), or the setup I have. There are more photos and info here: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/horse/ties.html

You DO want to have a way to quick release a horse that gets tangled. Either that or you will want to always have a sharp knife on you or within quick reach and know that you can cut thru whatever the horse is tied with quickly.

The tie system I use on my hi-tie gives me multiple points to release the horse by, and a bullsnap to unclip if the horse needs to be removed from the tie in a hurry (like did happen to my horse last year at a ride when a horse dragging a huge corral panel system ran into my horses 'space' on the hi-tie).

Next time I update that site, I will include information on not using a quick release snap to attach to the horses halter. If the horse is down on the ground and tangled up, you are not likely going to be able to 'quick-release' it anyway. Any other kind of snap that can be twisted, turned, or rubbed and made to open is also not safe to use to attach to the horses halter -- that includes caribbeaners, rope snaps, trigger snaps, etc.

I can sort of explain how mine is done. On the top I have been using two pieces of velcro. Since this seems to be the year of the monsoon rains (lol), Chief discovered at Death Valley that if he just gave a little tug, the velcro would come undone, especially when it's wet. So now he gets two velcro attachments at the top, which seems to be working quite well. Important lesson here: If a horse gets loose ONCE, then fix whatever you need to fix so it doesn't happen again!!!! The velcro is attached to the hi-tie on one end, and on the other a 4" round ring, the ring is clipped to the bullsnap on a 2' long nylon regular style trailer tie. The quick release end of the 2' long nylon tie is attached to another 4" ring. Thru that ring, my cotton lead rope is tied thru in a quick release knot. The end of the cotton rope has a bullsnap on it, that is attached to the horses halter.

The best training you can do to teach a horse not to fight and struggle should they get tangled up in their rope, is to hobble train them. Once they hit the ground, they will usually just wait to be rescued and not struggle. That will really minimize the chance of a bad injury. If they do get injured in this setup, they may end up with a rope burn but that is a lot less bad than some of the injuries I've seen among horses that have had wrecks in other confinement systems. Some horses do need to be tied with a shorter rope than others. It is a good idea to practice having a horse spend the night (or several nights) in their confinement system before going to a ride.

Karen
in NV