Re: [RC] [RC] respiratory cough - Soli Sorokin

Sounds like it could be the flu or rhino, both of which have fairly
short immunity periods after vaccines (3 months or so, vets will
correct me if I'm wrong, surely). Both of which are also viruses and
will not respond to antibiotics, although they will help prevent
secondary infections. Bute helps the horse feel better, which will
encourage them to eat/drink and hopefully get them over the virus
quicker.

The walking horse barn a few miles down the road from me just had an
outbreak of flu, with these same symptoms. I didn't know this until I
sent my mare there for breeding and she came back with those same
symptoms - she'd been vaccinated as well, but not since last fall
(according to the vet records her previous owner sent with her).
Within about two weeks she was fine, but my other horses (who had been
vaccinated just a month and a half ago) never caught the bug, despite
direct contact when she first arrived home.

Also, while her symptoms of nasal discharge and mild fever subsided
after two weeks (fever only lasted a few days, discharge about two
weeks),  activity caused her to start coughing again (only during the
activity) for about another week or two afterwards.

She's perfectly fine now and has no apparent lasting effects. Vet said
it was most likely the flu, but we didn't run any tests as he said it
was probably unnecessary at the time. She was confirmed in foal the
other day, so I consider myself fortunate that she did not lose it due
to the illness.

Just a thought - I'm sure the vets will have more answers for you, though.

~S