[RC] Shin Splints (I know this one!!!) - mkrumlaw

Before endurance and car accidents I used to be a pretty serious runner.
To make a long story short I had a lot of problems with shin splints
until I found a trainer that really knew what he was doing.  To correct
the problem we did three things.

The first thing I did was make sure my running shoes fit very well.  You
have to consider your stride, what you are running on, the shape of your
foot, and arch support.  Tapeing your arches will help, but that doesn't
solve the problem, it only makes you more comfortable while you're
running.  I've always prefered the high end Sauconys but everyone's foot
and stride is different.

The second was WARM UP stretches.  Hard to describe but I'll try.  Sit
down with your knees bent/relaxed and point your toe.  While your toe is
pointed make the biggest circle with your foot that you can trying to
only move at the ankle.  If you are doing this correctly you'll feel the
shins pull and stretch.  Do this for about 5 minutes in each direction
with both feet.  Do the same stretch with your toes curled back.  Then
standing go up on your toes and then rock back down on your heels about
10 times.  When you finally start running do an easy jog for the first
1/4 mile to 1/2 mile and the same when you are finishing your run.

The last was to ice my shins for 10 minutes after each run.

If your skins have a lot of torn tissue now you make have to let them
heal up for a bit before you start this program.  I found that if I stuck
with it I was pretty much shin splint and pain free...not to mention
faster.  :-)

Good luck...

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan