[RC] re: shin splints (Robin) - oddfarm

Ouch! They hurt, don't they?

Robin, you didn't say what you were doing to get them but I will assume it has to do with riding or working out, specifically running.

Running too much at the beginning of a program or doing too much speed work will bring them on every time. Also, shoes that don't fit right or ones that have insuffient cushioning will aggravate shins. Remember RICE, rest, ice, compression and elevation. And of course your favorite anti-inflammatory.

Don't run through a shin splint, you could end up with a stress fracture and that isn't fun either. If you are running or walking, make sure you have the right shoe for YOU. I have run in Asics for years, but some models of the Asics brand just don't cut it for me. I need the most cushion or I will also get shin splints.

Now if you are getting them from riding, I would think that maybe you are posting from your ankles, pushing up with the balls of your feet and really stressing your shins. If the inside of your shin bone feels bruised and the muscle on the outside of your shin bone is always sore,(typical shin splint pain) try to change the way you post, using your thighs, knees and hips more.

I have found that sometimes after a long ride, I feel like I have shin splints because my half chaps will grip the saddle and rub my calves back and forth. (This is a good thing as it is better than my butt going back and forth from the saddle to the ground ;) When I take the chaps off the pain is almost unbearable. But by the next morning, it feels more muscle sore, not that bruised feeling.

I highly recommend a good massage at least once a month. I have been so sore after a ride that I couldn't even sit down. You know what I'm talking about!  How many towels racks have you ladies pulled out of the wall trying to stand up after going potty? The quads burn, the center of each butt cheek feel bruised, and you can't even lift your arms to take your shirt off. The first few strokes from the masseuse will bring instant relief and instead of 3 or 4 days to work the pain out, you'll feel like a new person as soon as you get off the table.

You're worth it.

Lisa Salas, the Odd farm
Another ride season, a new towel rack ;)