From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 6/22/05 4:31:56 PM
Subject: [RC]   Cooley Ranch 2005 Ride (aka The Mud Bath Ride) - long,
part 2 of 2

Please Reply to: Sandy Holder sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The QuickSilver riders had gathered for a potluck pre-ride and although
we were running late, there was plenty of shared food and some good vino
waiting for us.  The night was lively and the rain held off during the ride
meeting, saving itself for 2 a.m. (when I awoke to hear hail dinging the
top of our aluminum trailer ? not to self: put in insulation).  Somewhere
around 4 a.m. it started again and by 4:15 a.m. we were pulling on tights
and sweatshirts, unfortunately waking up my bedmate and crew Katie in the
process, and gathering underneath our popup awning for some frosted mini
wheats.  Whether to start or not was a big question and we decided to do
the ?normal? stuff so we could make the call at the last possible moment.
As luck would have it, by 5:30 a.m. the rain broke and the sky lightened
enough to encourage us to tack up and attempt the journey, and journey it
was.  The mud was pretty treacherous and made for some slow going initially
(I think the 25 milers were in it all day).  The good news is it allowed us
some breathtaking moments - and a few tense ones as well.  This ride in the
middle of a traditional summer is probably extremely hot and tough but the
beautiful winding river leading us up to the cool mountains (some with
misty tops), gave Kim, Dick and I an exceptional sense of aw.

Being blessed with a daughter who?s also started her endurance career
(one 25 miler under her belt) made the vet checks something to definitely
look forward to.  The first vet check was just beyond the river and we
stopped to let our boys relax and drink in the middle of it (ankle high)
for a few minutes before walking in.  Katie was ready with mashes and water
for the horses and lovingly waited on us riders, refilling our water
pouches and making sure we too took our elytes.  I heard at the lunch stop
that Doug and Barbara has arrived a minute or two after we?d left so our
Crew Director was quite busy throughout the day.  Heading back out, the
road was flat, wide and with good footing and we made time on our long
striding steeds.  Crossing the river again, we began to climb in earnest
and found ourselves walking to the top of the mountain looking over at the
craggy decent that we would take primarily on foot.   I was impressed by
how willing our boys were to listen to our unspoken words and allow us to
slowly pick our way down.  Of course Kim had to have ?a few words? with
Lucky for him to stand still while she attempted to get her 5?2? frame onto
his 16 h body.  We were passed by a number of riders at that point but
didn?t mind, our three horses are bound for their first attempt at Tevis
and moving out quickly for a top 10 placing was not the goal this day.

We finished up the ride after a nice hour hold at lunch by covering some
wide, well traveled country ranch roads (all dirt but very nice for
trotting along), slowing to a walk when we came to the pavement for the
final climb back to camp.  Just when the horses could see camp (and hear
the activity), we veered left to once again cover the muddy trail that all
the riders (25?s and 50?s) were to use both out and back.  On the final
turn to camp, I was heavy on the reins and deep in my seat trying to keep
my energetic boy just to a walk.  We crossed the finish line in high
spirits and happy to have completed the journey with healthy and happy
horses.

Overall my appreciation for getting a completion goes out to Ruthie and
Ron because through all the challenges (mud bath areas that Calistoga would
die for and the porta potties getting lost), they never lost their positive
attitude. The trail was very well marked (a blue branch on a fir tree??),
and had been freshly groomed prior to the rain, including the streams!  And
for the vet checks, NEVER having to wait for a P&R person or for a vet was
really delightful.  Thanks Ya?ll

Oh, and the best part of the ride for me?  Well I must say it happened
when I pulled the tack off my ?lovely? somewhat still white horse in his
portable corral and watched him promptly drop to the ground to be covered
in mud.  Why would this be my favorite part?  Tally always tells me how he
feels after a ride, and when he feels good, he rolls and rolls and rolls ?
grunting and sighing, and doing it again when he flips to the other side.
The whole camp probably heard him.  Of course all this wouldn?t be complete
without sharing with you the expression on Melissa Ribley?s face when we
brought him in for the final vet check (all A?s).  All she said before
checking him out was ?now did you have fun today?!!  I almost tripped and
fell while trotting him out I was laughing so hard!!

Anyway, hope everyone made it home safely!  See you next year!!