From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of heidi larson
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:48 AM
To: * *
Subject: [RC] hard to syringe horse

Ok, Ash is wonderful, beautiful, smart, athletic, talented and I adore him, however, he has 2 HUGE flaws.  (No one is perfect, right?)  Spooking, which he is getting better and better with every ride and he HATES a syringe near his mouth.  I've put mollasses in it and he took that for days and days in a row, put electrolytes in the syringe and you're reaching to the sky and hoping he doesn't take you with him to get 1/2 a dose down him.  After the Capital Climb ride, I got him in camp prior to the ride and got the whole dose down, at the vet check I got about 1/2 dose in him, fighting the whole time, but now he's on to me and has gone back to how he was before we worked with the mollasses.  Back to square one.  Even sees the syringe and he's up in the sky.  I know he just needs to be worked with on this, but he'll be good til those salty electrolytes come and then he freaks.  I've put the lytes in mollasses and applesauce, believe me, he knows when they're in there and when they're not!  He's always had a bit of a mouth issue, but he's easy to bit up, I can rub his gums now, vets can check mucous membranes, it's just those darn e-lytes. HELP!

Anyone ever use the worming bits?  I know it would be a bit of a hassle, but way easier than what I've got on my hands now!

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine
| \~~~~~~
| \~~~~