Re: [RC] kids~one likes horses, the other???? - Karla Watson

A lot of it may have to do with her age--10 yrs. My daughters didn't really get into it until 11 or 12. They liked them more as "pets" than for riding. They weren't scared and were taught well but the interest wasn't really strong until a few years later. I used to sort of get mad inside. Gosh, how many little girls would give anything to have a horse mom to buy them a horse and take them riding, and yet mine were not into it that much. But I found out later that it was just that they needed to grow up a bit more. I was hooked on riding at age 8, but my kids just needed to get older to get hooked.

I have 13 yr old twin girls (identical). One was into horses and went all of last year with me to rides. I wanted so badly for the other one to get into horses. Even bought her a very nice semi-retired endurance horse that was trained to do anything. Then one day she rode a friends' gaited horses (Paso Finos) and wala! she was hooked, but then wanted one of those horse, as she calls them-- "magic carpet rides" for herself. So we sold her arab and bought her this little horse (Paso Fino) with a BIG personality. He just LOVES her. Now she is also really into horses and did her first endurance ride recently and LOVED it. Now my wish has come true, but I am now hauling 2 kids to rides, bigger shoeing bill, buying more tack, paying for 3 entries, etc. Its a bit tough on the wallet but heck....when they hit about 16-18, their interests will probably change. There is no better investment than to keep your teenage girls in horses. Sure kept me out of a heck of a lot of trouble when I was their age!

Good luck and hang in there. It may come later. Be carefull what you wish for. ;-)

------------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon