[RC] kids~one likes horses, the other???? - rides2far

I have a kid question, do any of you here, have one child that wants
to ride and the other does not?

Yep

I have an 8 yr. old son who wants
to ride, and a 10 year old daughter thinking that she doesn't want
to anymore.  know that mom's going to be riding feeling guilty and
heartbroke
that she's not along.  Any advice?

Maybe she won't be heartbroke if mom shows up for the stuff she *does*
like. :-) My older daughter, Bonnie rides just fine. When she's with us
she enjoys it. But she would never just wake up one morning with the urge
to ride. She doesn't look at a horse and think of all the things she
wants to accomplish with that horse, etc. Since she was my first child I
knocked myself out to make her like horses. She had everything...but I
can watch the old home movies of her now and see that the *spark* was
missing. Then Josie came along 4 years later. She really got on my nerves
wanting me to get them out constantly...insisting that I not lead her
pony...let her get on by herself...insisting that she and her pony
*could* keep up if I'd only let them go on training rides with me.
Meanwhile Bonnie was great at softball, dance, music, loved to read,
artistic...  I look at her and it's kinda fun to wonder what she's going
to do next. When I see the "I'm a clothing & hair designer" side of her I
can't believe that I produced that child...destroys all thoughts of the
dam having a big impact. >g<

Some people want their kids to be just like them. I look at my mother and
think, "Thank GOODNESS she didn't expect me to be anything like her or
I'd be sewing, watching Oprah and worrying about all the things Oprah
tells her to fret over.

You've got just a few years until your daughter has her driver's license.
That's when she's going to wave and be gone most of the time. She'll get
her first job in 5 years. That's how much time you've got to help her
find *her* passion, not yours. If she hits 17 and *wishes* she'd taken
music or dance she'll feel too old and wish her mom had thought about
something other than horses. One more thing, look at the bright
side!...having one kid who competes cuts into your competition funds
considerably. Having two that wanted a shod horse would have ruined me.
Bonnie loves to come to rides and crew. She's done a little LD and the
last time she rode with me she said, "Mom, when I'm out here I like it,
you need to just *make* me ride sometimes". Ha. No way. If she wants it,
great. I'll do what it takes to afford it, but if she needs *made* to
ride? That's a waste of money and a girl who has other interests to
pursue.

Angie