[RC] feed question - Dreamweaver

At 08:29 AM 6/22/2005, you wrote:
 But the monkey wrench is that I'm getting a thrid
horse who "may" be food aggressive and only eats 2 cups of a 10% feed at
home. I'm wondering if I can just give him his two  cups feed and  make up
the difference in beet pulp? or is there something I can feed him that won't
make him hot or gain weight but will keep him busy? I'd really like him to
live in the field with my other two horses without having to  tie anyone up
for feeding. I'm OK with switching my mare back to senior, so they all eat
the same feed. Is Ultium high/low in sugar? I know it's lower in protein
than senior, but higher in fat. I'm guessing ultium is lower in fiber since
it's not a complete feed? Obviously it would be easier if I could get them
all on the same stuff, but that may not be possible.

Here is a link with info on various feeds: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/molasses.html

You might try putting a feed bag on the horse that is food aggressive during the time that the other horses are eating. Then he can eat his own stuff, and not the other horses. Just make sure you are there or that the bag will drain water if he tries to drink with it on.

You probably don't want to feed Ultium all of the time. I got some and only use it at rides, my horses don't work enough between rides to actually need it, and I figure if the dealers need to take a course to learn how to sell it properly, then it's probably too advanced for me. :P I have all easy keepers, which makes it difficult to feed them the same way all of the time as the way they get fed at rides. I really like the MannaPro Complete 10, they love it plain or mixed with soaked beet pulp, and it's only 1-2% molasses. I've been using that to put their Se supplement in.

Karen
in NV