RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] OT-For Women Only - heidi

Please share.  This is an issue coming up for me this year and I've had
"bad" advice (such as people telling me I'll be laid up for weeks and weeks
and to forget about riding for months) and encouraging advice (such as if I
take care of myself, am as fit as I can be before and start exercising again
as soon as the dr. says after, that I should recuperate quickly and be back
riding "in no time"....does anyone even know how long "in no time" really
is?).  I would love to hear from others also who have had hysterectomies...
Maggie

I had already sent a private response to this, but will add a bit to the
public discussion.  I was so miserable before mine that it seemed like a
godsend even the day after surgery.  Mine was done vaginally, ovaries
and all.  I did have a mild complication with an infection afterward,
but got right on it and had no lasting effects.  The only restriction I
had was a lifting restriction--was not to lift more than 10 lbs for 6
weeks.  Did get the all-clear from the doctor at 5 weeks, though.  He
encouraged me to walk right off the bat.  The day I had my checkup at 5
weeks, at which the doctor told me that I could "resume all normal
activity,"  I came home to a panic call from my heavily-pregnant
neighbor that our ditch had broken out and was threatening to flood
neighbors above us.  Her husband had gone up to shut off the headgate,
but someone needed to go up to the overflow at the ditch screens and
open that up to shunt water back to the river.  We had had a hard
freeze, so I went up there with a sledge hammer and a long pry bar, and
as I was down in the ditch flailing away at the ice blockage around the
headgate, the thought occurred to me, "I wonder if the doctor would
consider this to be a 'normal' activity!"  <g>

That said, I think everyone is an individual, and I think you have to
listen both to your doctor and to your own body.

Heidi