Re: [RC] Cooley Ranch Ride - Peggety123

I was the first one to get dragged over that creek by Ron!  What an adventure the whole ride was.  It was so impressive how people kept their spirits up and just dealt with the inclement conditions....the gal I ended up riding with had thought she wasn't going to go....after seeing all those happy smiling faces leaving camp, she went back, threw her saddle on and joined all us mud sloshers out there!  We had a GREAT time and were glad we persevered and went.

It dumped rain the night before, so we knew we were in for nasty conditions right from the start.  There were several Tevis bound people there who opted not to risk their horses in the slippery mud -good decision on their part - it was nasty.
My horse was pretty frustrated with having to walk 85% of the ride ( I did the LD loop).  My riding partner and I both agreed we didn't want to take any chances in those conditions.
It rained lightly on the trail most of the day.

But overall, it was a fun ride, great ride management as always - I think this may have been the 4th time I did this ride and it's usually hot and dry!  That's what the Tevis people were planning for - good hill training and heat!  Well, it wasn't that way this year - just the opposite.

There was a great big bonfire going in the main camp for everyone to gather 'round after the ride which was quite cozy.  The rain let up for the dinner and awards which was a good thing.
Good food too- hot chicken, salads, lots of wine (thank you Forrest Tancer), homemade cookies and strawberries.

Ron and Ruth did a spectacular job as always, and the ranch owners who allowed us to have our ride there went to a lot of trouble to make it nice for us - the trails had been cleared and bulldozed where necessary to give us 50 miles of trails.
Oh, there was even an expresso bar there at 5am - such a treat for us out there in the great outdoors!  Nice classy touch!

To top off a great adventurous ride, I didn't have to be pulled out again by Ron with his tractor!  In fact, I don't think anyone did!

Hats off to all of us who rode and endured, and the great ride management who made it happen!

Peggy Eaton and her partner in mud, Dakota Midnight