[RC] fleas and ticks - mikek

I am a little late coming into this conversation about flea and tick prenvention. But here goes. I have been a professional groomer for 18 years. I believe in natural products when they work, most people are not persistant enough for the natural route. Flea Busters does work for all bugs in the house as a PREVENTION before you actually have a problem. It takes 6 weeks for it to work if you do have a problem. Chickens are wonderful bug and fly eaters. I have 10 chickens on my 15 acres and have almost no flys. Advantage will work for fleas if you do not already have a major problem. I have seen no cases of reactions to it. Frontline and Frtline Plus work well for ticks, but it takes 24 hours to kill once bitten. Revolution goes throughout the body and can affect the internal organs. My vets (who I work for) does NOT reccomend it. I use Neem dip diluted on horse and garden with excellent results. It is natural and I have had not had any reactions. I also use Neem shampoo on dogs and cats at work with fleas and ticks and even though I have to let the animals sit in shampoo for 10 to 15 min. have had no reactions. I have seen a reaction to the new product Advantix. On a small toy poodle ( a client) and she was hospitalized for 3 days. It will kill cats. Never put dog products on cats. It will cause toxic reactions. Oh and the gorocery store stuff will cause reactions and can be very toxic, plus they don't work. Spot on for horses is the same thing as Killtix. I was able to sample it through the vet when it was first be put on the market. It lasted for a week and then was useless for flies.
Hope I've helped someone.
Karen in NY (native of AR the tick captial)