[RC] Hematoma-don't ignore it... - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Debbie Whaley whaleydj@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a 20yr old QH gelding that had a big hematoma on his butt three years
ago.  (He got hung up in a fence, pulled back, and sat on a big rock behind
him-near as I could tell, from the torn fence and hair on the rock...) He would
hardly move and I was leaving the next day as my mother was in the hospital.
My regular vet was on vacation, but the relief vet prescribed
10cc of Banamine to start, paddock confinement (so he could get
food and water) and bute twice a day after the first day.  I
was gone for a week and had a friend feed and medicate him.
When I got home, I turned him out daily and stalled him at night.
The lump was there for several months, and he was lame on the
leg, but able to get around the pasture to eat.  The lameness
eventually went away, but later I noticed that his leg had a definite forward
jerk before his foot landed, and he was a little short strided with that leg.
Now the tendon has
tightened and feels like a cable inside the back of his thigh
and there is a very deep crease between the muscles.  It
does not seem to hurt him now, at a walk it is noticeable, especially going
downhill.  The more exercise he gets, the
easier he seems to move.  He is my daughter's gymkhana horse and hubby's trail
horse and is still useable, but it makes
me sad to watch him walk, and think maybe if I had treated
it differently, we would have had a better outcome.  There is
a surgery to fix it, but I've heard it only improves it
half the time.    Unless it gets worse, I think I'll leave
it alone.  Don't know what the outcome will be with your horse,
but wanted to share my experience...FWIW

Debbie Whaley & "Shah"
Prineville, Ore.