[RC] [RC] Horse w/ hematoma on butt/thigh (long) for Kim - oddfarm

Shortly, (meaning a day or two) after I bought Money Pit (ahhh, let the bills begin), she was kicked in the back of her thigh. Big hematoma. I tried bute, DMSO and exercise.

So we called the vet after about a month because nothing was working and it looked ugly. He drained it and then put gauze in the space between the skin and the muscle so that it would not fill up again. I was to pull about 1-2 inches of the gauze out each day, (oh puke!) until it was gone. He put in about a yard or so. After a few days I went out to pull her tab the little bit I left out to grab was gone. Called the vet and he said she probably pulled it out. I told him it was nowhere to be seen in the pasture and to please come and look.

Sure enough, after poking and prodding, he pulled out the remaining gauze. Jeeeeeeze that gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. He re-stuffed her and left me with the same directions.

I pulled out a little each day and along with it came the fluid. It always seemed to be a relief for her. She was also on antibiotics. After it was all gone, just a small bubble remained but disappeared after a few weeks.

The only evidence of that incidence is that it sweats before the rest of her body does. Or if it is cool out, and we are riding it will be the only spot with sweat on it. Weird.

I have also used a drug, but I don't remember what it was to get rid of one that was on the chest of a horse. That worked well, also. We have never had a small hematoma that was free, only the huge ones that cost money. ;-@ Ahhhaa!

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm