Re: [RC] chemicals/fleas - Chris Paus

What they probably use is DE, diatomaceous earth. I had it applied to my yard and have used it in my home. It killed a nasty invasion of carpenter ants.

However, the fleas in Kansas seem to need a 1-2-3 punch. DE, Frontline, and dog baths. When I lived in northern Wisconsin, we could control fleas with pennyroyal oil and other "natural" products. But down here the fleas scoff at pennyroyal oil, eucalyptus and other things.

Heidi, I know you mean well. And believe me, i've been strident too warning people bout herbicides and other things. We do need to be careful not to overuse insecticides as that simply sets up a superbug scenario. But I will now concede that there are times when pesticides are warranted.

We also need to be careful with the use of "natural" products. Many of them are as toxic as the chemicals we are trying to avoid, but because the words natural or herbal are attached to them, we think they are safer.

DE and Borax for fleas are pretty safe remedies, you can probably eat lots and not get sick, but don't inhale them.  Very hard on the lungs.

chris

heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't use chemicals for fleas!!! Serious health hazard to you as you live in the residue.  Call FleaBusters.  Best thing I ever did for a flea infestation.  It's kind of like a fine borax dust rubbed into carpets.  Not bad for people, but sucks the moisture out of the flea, eggs and larvae.  Guaranteed for one year after application.  I don't work for them, just had great results!!!  You can even go on their website and order the product and appy yourself, but I prefer to have them do it, then I know it was done correctly and I get the guarantee.

heidi

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine