RE: [RC] [RC] Spelling and such - Diana Peterson

Laura this is such a nice email...thank you very much for it...i have posted an email here and there and i found myself beeing a little shy about it ....I am from Germany...live in the states for 10 years now ...but still have spelling problems with words. ...But i keep thinking ...if the " finger pointers" could just read and write and speak just half as good german as i can speak and write and read english...then we would all be a great deal smarter....lol

Thanks for the encouragement.

Diana and Del Passo

From: "Laura Hayes" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Spelling and such
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:53:57 -0400

Having now cleaned the trailer of dirty clothes before they crawled away, and perishable food before it grows life of it's own, and started on the dog hair in the back of the truck (maybe I should just leave it?) I have had some time to reflect. Here is what some famous Americans said:

"It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!" -- Andrew Jackson
"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world." -- Henry Louis Mencken, The American Language

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." -- Mark Twain

In light of the thoughts of such literary icons, I propose we not be so hard on each other. Instead of publishing the person's faux pas in public form, maybe a personal note would be sufficient, or even better, a nice follow up post with the word spelled correctly, but not made mention of? To be honest, to be picked apart in such a way gives one pause in sharing stories or thoughts. Think about it next time- did you get the idea? Did the writer make sincere and interesting reading? If so, then take it for what it is worth and go on.

I'm going riding.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741