[RC] OT - My horse is allergic to menthol... - Sarah Simmons

I had an emergency with my horse this morning.  I
found out he is allergic to menthol.  I used some
diluted Lincoln body wash on my gelding because I
thought it would be nice and refreshing since it is so
hot and miserable out.  At first he got very anxious
and would not stand still and at first I thought he
was just misbehaving so I kept sponging him with the
stuff.  Then he started shaking all over and almost
fell down and could not stand still.  I immediately
hosed the stuff off and got the portable phone and
called my vet who was not much help.  I called Pete
Ramey, but he is out of the country until the 15th so
I spoke with one of his apprentices, Todd.  I was
worried about Merlin getting laminitis again because
he had a temperature of 103 at that point and the skin
around his feet (he has white socks so it's easy to
see his skin when his legs are wet) was bright red and
very hot.  So I moved him in the shade in the barn and
hosed his legs for 45 minutes which brought his
temperature down to 101 and he stopped shaking and
started to act normal again and not so anxious and
uncomfortable.  Todd told me he had seen one other
horse who had that kind of reaction to menthol.  So
weird.  I have used absorbine and vetrolin on him
before, but, way, way diluted.  I didn;t dilute this
stuff enough I guess and it was so horrible he looked
like he was having a seizure.

Anyway...He is in his stall and when I left his temp
was still 101 and had not gone up.  He seemed back to
his old normal self.  I;ve got a doctor's appointment
but will be going back to check on him later today.
What a nightmare!  On top of it all I am PMS'ing and
am very emotional and I cried all the way home and in
the shower thinking I almost killed my horse!  *sigh*
Please pray for Merlin and that his feet will be OK
and this allergic episode will not trigger laminitis
in him.  Thanks.

Anyone else have a horse that reacted to menthol in
this way?

Sarah

Discover Yahoo!