[RC] vets work Saturday - Dana B.

Barney wrote:
"And don't forget to bribe them, you know cookies, candy and hugs."

How about a healthy dose of hero worship? :-)

Two years ago my son did his first AERC ride and Jamie Kerr spent a lot of time explaining and encouraging Ian and his old gelding.  The next month at Tevis Jamie not only acknowledged Ian's shy "hello" but invited Ian to hang with him while he vetted the leaders through Michigan Bluff (where we were volunteering).  Talk about the fast track to a pedestal!!!  Ian still talks about the model horse leg that Jamie showed him that day.

Ian is now 2 years older and not as much into riding as he was then.  Turns out it was hours spent with his old gray gelding buddy that he loved, not so much the long hours on the trail.  But all I have to do is mention that I'm worried about a horse and Ian's out there lickety split checking mucous membranes and jugular refill and snapping skin, scoring their hydration "Just like Dr. Kerr taught me."  And when he crews for me at rides, guess who the first person is he's looking for :-)

Lots of kids have rock stars and movie idiots for heros.  Mine has an endurance vet, and I couldn't be more pleased.  I know Dr. Kerr's going to have a huge cheering section this Tevis, but among them is going to be a 12yo boy who thinks he walks on water, along with a very grateful mom.

Dana Baldwin,
who's had nothing but great experiences with all our vets

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx